Some consumers prefer to use such microphone. They think that these devices are more romantic. Though it’s more about the feel, the ribbon mics really deliver a slightly different sound that seems cozier and warmer for audiophiles than the best condenser. The aesthetics of such mics is an additional benefit to consider. Performed in retro style, they are sleek and shiny, as a rule. Though it’s often pricey, it’s possible to find a cheap option on Amazon or some other site selling such gear. Probably, this survey will be helpful for consumers who want to purchase a good budget ribbon mic for their collection. However, we are going to explore different price categories to find the best alternative possible.
- Comes with sturdy case;
- A good option for lovely, rich sound;
- Weight 500 g
- Well constructed;
- The sound is very warm;
- Good precision.
- No noticeable faults.
Golden Age Project R1 active Mk3
- Figure8 pattern
- MaxSPL 150dB
- Universal use, can be used for different recording situations including home recording.
- This is an excellent solution for those who just start out
- Adds velvety smoothness to performance
- Offers silky contemporary sound
- Little background hiss can create the problem and make the device unusable in some situations.
- Precision of sound can’t be compared with the same characteristic of top end ribbon mics.
Despite all flaws, the device is still lovely and features warmth.
It’s a moving ribbon mic giving exceptionally warm performance for its users.
- F8 pickup pattern
- Incredible max SPL
- Flawless for guitar
- It sounds like more expensive mic
- Optimized for easy placement and can be dangled, no stand is needed then
- Cool retro style
- Shouldn’t be used in dusty places not to damage the ribbon
Best ribbon mic under 200 dollars
The top lists rarely include cheap models and this price tag is low for a ribbon microphone. Nevertheless, such devices exist and effectively serve consumers who are fond of such gear.
Golden Age Project R1 MK2
It seems that it’s impossible to find the best cheap ribbon mic until the consumer runs across this model. Learn more about it to make your own conclusion on the subject.
- Warmth and smoothness of tone
- Universal use, it’s able to record different sources
- It offers amazing performance
- Natural sound
- Excellent for performance onstage
- The sensitivity is too high therefore it picks up background hum, so special treatment space is necessary for use.
Cascade Microphones 98-G-A FAT HEAD Ribbon Microphone
Those who think that it’s hard to find a value ribbon mic at affordable price should explore this model. It’s definitely worth the attention. It’s a good option for live performance. It can be used instead of legendary SM57, especially when used with guitar or drum. The performance can be enhanced when used with other mics such as shortgun or pencil mic.
- F8 pattern
- Comes in a case with a pouch
- Brown color decorated with golden grille
- Provides exceptionally clear sounding
- Stylish retro look
- Perfect for brass instruments
- It’s better not to use Fat Head only for vocals.
Despite this drawback, the option is great customers who are looking for a ribbon mic under 200. It surpasses all their expectations.
Those who want a vintage feel can enjoy the metal chrome finish of this device.
- Suitable for recording of the vocals
- A good alternative to record acoustic instrument
- Bidirectional pattern
- Purple color
- Suitable for universal common use
- Excellent choice when rich mids are required
- Copes with high SPLs
- Rich sound
- The consumers are not satisfied with build quality.
However, this shortcoming doesn’t stop the multiple lovers of music and ribbon mic, in particular. As the pricetag is affordable, the device can be easily replaced with a newer microphone.
Best ribbon mic under 300 dollars
How to determine the best ribbon mic under 300 dollars? There are many devices of this type featuring smoothness, but we need the ones that doesn’t sound dull. The pick should also be versatile to give the opportunity to apply it in diverse situations.
Golden Age Project R1 Mk2
The model has the same features, pros and cons as the model above but with one exception. The Mk3 model is active, while this is a passive ribbon mic. It’s not that sensitive and functions well with a long cable.
Se Electronics Sea/SEX1R
Excellent option for those who are going to update the gear. This microphone was honed to perfection.
- Vintage design
- Incredible smooth sound
- Traditional look
- Made of metal
- Tough construction
- Suitable for use on the road
- Handcrafted ribbon element
- Versatile use due to variety of applications
- Capable to tame the highs
- The consumer will have to acquire a good mic preamp due to low sensitivity of the model.
Avantone Pro CR-14
- Omni pattern;
- Width of frequency response range;
- Handles high SPLs without distorting sound;
- XLR connection;
- Delivered with a wooden box, retro shock mount, and a metal case.
- Elegant design;
- Detailed reproduction;
- The pattern enables flexible positioning thus making the model universal.
- It’s hard to find best positioning for comprehensive capturing and full sound.
Many love the musicality of ribbon microphones and special smoothness found in vintage models. These traits outweigh the flaws of these devices so lovers of ribbon mics put up with them easily. Even thousand dollar deal doesn’t stop audiophiles from purchase of ribbon mic. Sometimes only ribbon mic can tame shrill excesses of certain instruments. Usually, such microphones are very expensive though there are exceptions. The selection above will help you find a cheap microphone. For more info contact the store (link).